Mirror Mirror On the wall
Are you reflecting me at all?
So many days I look into you while you look at me. Searching for myself.
So many mornings my spirits will soar or sulk, depending on that face. That body. That girl.
But who is she?
Not me.
Because you see, mirror, there is no way for you to reflect how deeply I have loved. How fiercely I have fought. How loud and long I have laughed with my head thrown back and my eyes shut tight.
There is no way for you to show the beauty of my dreams. The height of my ambitions. The passion I pour into my friendships and my pen and the click of a camera.
You can show me green eyes, and messy hair, and short tanned legs. You can show me my flaws and I can choose to let those become a part of me- carry them around on shoulders breaking under the weight of their own mirror-induced insecurities. Bottle them up as an excuse to hide from the world and wear my hair so it covers my face. Let them make me half of the woman I’m meant to be.
Or, I can fight back. I could stare at that face in the glass all day and never see myself at all. Because my beauty isn’t in a damn mirror, it’s in me. It always has been.
No comments:
Post a Comment